Friday, December 8, 2006

I love my dog Rocky

My dog is my best friend
And he was quite a find
He used to live next door to me
And he was just my kind

A puppy he’s no longer
And playful he is not
But he is very loyal
And that sure means a lot

Rocky's now a big dog
And so I have no fear
Of being home alone at night
Because I know he’s near

He doesn’t like to cuddle
And often acts aloof
But if you ring my doorbell
You’ll hear him say “woof, woof”

Those dog toys he won’t play with
Because they're not his style
He prefers stuffed animals
To play with for a while

Rocky loves his daily walks
Where he can have fresh air
If we neglect to shave him
He'll soon look like a bear

He'll lie on my good sofa
This used to bother me
But he’s a special doggie
And that you will agree

I can replace a sofa
I can replace a chair
I can’t replace my Rocky
Because a life we share

So get yourself a doggie
If you don’t own one now
And you will grow to love him
Like I love Rocky, my Chow

By, Randee Saber 4/18/06
Poets Northwest Contest
1st Honorable Mention, 2007