Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hurricane Ike

On September 12, 2008, Hurricane Ike struck the coast of Galveston
before travelling North to Houston.

I’m in the dark
Though it’s mid-day
The lights are out
The sky is gray

A hurricane
Had come our way
Along the coast
No one could stay

Those further away
Confronted Ike
Waiting for him
To take a hike

A storm that lasted
Through the night
His mighty winds
Caused quite a fright

Trees uprooted
From the ground
Covering lawns
Many were found

For countless years
These trees would sway
Till hurricane winds
Blew them away

Food that spoiled
I threw in the trash
We’re eating out often
And using up cash

Without any power
My house stays hot
And rinsing out clothes
I’m doing a lot

Plenty of candles
Are needed at night
When taking a shower
I use a flashlight

Along the right grid
The power’s restored
The rest of us
Are feeling ignored

I’m doing my best
Without having power
I’ve even extended
My happy hour

Hurricane Ike
You haven’t won
The clean-up work
Is now getting done

By, Randee Saber 9/28/08

NOTE: Alan and I were without power for 16 days and we'd like to thank
everyone who offered help.