Saturday, November 6, 2010

Another year and I'm still here

One day I tried to end my life
And almost did succeed
I told my spouse I overdosed
"Please help me, " I would plead

With no more purpose to my life
And nothing left to do
My life is not much better now
That's just my point of view

It wasn't meant for me to die
The paramedics cared
From that day not too long ago
When dying got me scared

By, Randee Saber 4/18/06

From March, 2004 (after turning 50) to early 2006, severe depression caused me to no longer function. I was in and out of mental hospitals 4 times in 2 years. This poem reflects how I felt the year following my first hospitalization for attempted suicide. During this time, my husband hired companions to keep me company and help around the house and it was very expensive. He did it because he didn’t want to find me dead when he got home from work. My children were upset and disappointed in me. It took a long time until I found a great psychiatric nurse who has a lot of compassion. Poetry has saved my life. Be careful what you say to people, you never know what they’ve gone through.